Any query......

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram srikrishna_ghadiyaram at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 16 11:45:34 CDT 2002

Hari Om !!

Ashish: Thank you for replying to Somik, patiently,
about his false interpretations.

The modern science has not yet concluded once
existance of Lord Sri Krishna; then how can Somik say
that Lord Krishna started the "Cow protection Dharma".
Similarly, many of his arguments are figs of his
imaginations.

Every thing, even insignificant, needs effort, in this
material life. We need to sacrifice the lower to gain
the higher. It is not called sacrifice any more,
infact.

Somik has defined all the concepts around his
'convenience' than what is 'good'. Once he gets
married (assuming his partner will agree to be a cook
for life), his theories will change.

It is eally sad that he is still substantiating his
thought by argument, than enquiry.

The holy master Swami Sivananda has explained so
beautifully, what is right for a sadhak. It is one of
my source of inspiration and guide lines for daily
living. It will help any sincere sadhak.

Spice is not against physical body health. I myself
read some articles (in US) some time ago, which
concluded that in India the cardiac problems are the
least in the world because of the spices they use.
Interested people may search for the papers of those
studies.

Somik, please understand that the bad characteristics
introduced by oil, and spices in vegetarian food is
still less harmful than what is pre-packaged in meat
based food. When you roast, you add a little carbon to
it and remove Oxygen content from it. (Your definition
of good). So, please look into the 'essence' of 'food'
and do not amke a decision based on outer 'masala'
which your tongue feels easily.

The whole debate is from the stand point of a
spiritual sadhak. If you are one such, these doubts
will not arise at all. How calm is your mind, it is
the deciding factor.

I sympathise about your justification based on the 14
hour work schedule (as if you do the same all the 7
days a week). This is out of your ignorance that you
are not able to manage your own life. You feel this
will lead you some where, so you work on software than
offer your mind in prayer every day. Unless your
priorities change and start using your time more
intelligently, you are bound to suffer, just like many
others. (I was once a party to it. By grace of God now
I seem to know my priorities better)

Om Namo Narayanaya !!

Srikrishna

http://www.sivanandadlshq.org/download/brahma_nopic.htm

> [...]
>
> >There are views and then there are views. Everyone
> is of course entitled
> >his/her own opinion. Personally I am in favour of
> vegetarianism, but not
> at
> >the cost of practicality. There is no point in
> starving and not doing my
> >duty for my company, at the cost of sticking to
> this idea.
> >

> Perhaps this is why, the fact that we have our own
> reasons and opinions
> conditioned by our own individual experiences which
> we take to be
> empirically true, our Shastras tell us to take
> decisions based on Sruti,
> Smriti, conduct of those established in the Vedas,
> and our conscience, in
> that order.
>
> >I am not a scholar on our epics or shastras. But
> from what little I have
> >read - I understand that Hindus dont eat beef, its
> against the religion.
> The
> >reason is that the cow is considered akin to mother
> - as it gives milk for
> >the little babies. And one cant kill one's mother.
> Now, it leads one to
> >ask - where did such a huge thought originate ? I
> am given to understand
> >that it was Lord Krishna who originated this - when
> he found that cows
> were
> >being mercilessly slaughtered, and little children
> were not getting milk
> and
> >dying. Also Lord Krishna himself as a child was
> known as "makhan chor" -
> he
> >loved butter, and that comes from milk. For these
> reasons, he proposed
> this
> >idea -and instantly, people found they were unable
> to raise their axe to
> >kill the cow.
> >
> >This anecdote leads one to believe - that people in
> India, were beef
> eaters
> >upto that point. Also - the beef consumption might
> not have been
> restricted
> >to "lower" classes of society - bcos then the
> brahmins would automatically
> >have condemned them, and ostracized them. Since it
> was so prevalent
> >requiring Lord Krishna to intervene - one might
> assume that even the
> higher
> >classes - Kshatriyas and Brahmins were beef eaters
> (and of course meat
> >eaters). It is interesting to note - that other
> forms of meat were not
> >forbidden by Lord Krishna. And he didnt forbid beef
> either - he only gave
> >the comparison.
> >

> This again shows that your are basing this on your
> own understanding. I
> would like to ask you whether you have asked anyone
> why the cow is sacred.
> How are you "given to understand" that Bhagawan

=== message truncated ===