liilaa and celebrating duality

Subrahmanian, Sundararaman V [IT] sundararaman.v.subrahmanian at CITIGROUP.COM
Tue May 7 13:00:13 CDT 2002

As an action oriented person a sadhaka calls jnAni a stitaprajna (B. Gita
2nd Chapter)
As an emoting individual he calls jnaAni a bhaktha (B. Gita 12th Chapter)
As an enquiring person, he calls jnAni a guNAtIta (B. Gita 13th Chapter)

All these names but refer to the same jnAni depending upon our view point.

[...]

In much the same way, lIlA and mAyA are the same.  A jnAni sees only
brahman, but to prashTu: the (questioner), he has to give a meaningful
answer for the perception of plurality.  mAyA and lIlA are models that are
used to "explain away" the universe to a sAdhaka.  If the questioner is an
enquiring person, a jnAni explains the plurality by calling it mAyA.  If the
questioner is a bhakthA, a jnAni explains the plurality by calling it lIlA.

mAyA and lIlA are one and the same.

- Culled from lectures by Swami Tatvavidananda, Arsha Vidya Gurukulam.

Regards,
SVS