bhakti

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 20 05:54:44 CDT 2002

--- Venkatraman.Chandrasekaran at NOKIA.COM wrote:

> Sri Ramanuja's philosophy doesn't agree that
> "anything
> that has a beginning and an end must be unreal",
> which
> is the crux of Advaita. That's why per Visistadvaita
>
> even when someone mistakes rope for a snake, the
> snake
> is real in the eyes of the person for that much time
>
> since the effects like "sweating", "screaming" are
> all
> real and just in the same fashion the jagat is
> *real*
> since it's experienced as is.
>
> Regards,
> chandrasekaran.

Shree Chandrasekaran - what you mentioned is actually
the philosophy of Madhva- that gives importance for
experience as the pramaa.  Ramanuja's philosophy is
little more different - it is adviata in terms of
totality or Brahman - the vishishhta comes in the
sense that the Brahman has internal differences -
swagata bheda-s and the internal differences exist
since that Brahman is made up of both jiiva-s and
prakriti as its body. The reality of all three is
assumed.  The changes is only interms of
transformation of subtle to gross etc.  Hence even if
it changes there is no permanent distruction and hence
is real. Lord pervades as one in both subtle and
grosser froms as antaryaami.  Hence it is vishishTa
adviata. In the silver pearl example Ramanuja explains
that there is tiny silver part that manifests in terms
of its quality of shining. The brahma part is only
taking that tiny part as complete and going after that
silver and recogning that the major part is shell
rather than silver.  Thus there is an error.

I am currently writing notes on Shree Bhaashya from
advaitin's perspective and hopefully resume my series
on Brahmasuutra from Shankara and Ramanuja's
perspectives.

Hari OM!
Sadananda

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com