bhakti

Thu Jun 13 12:35:39 CDT 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Stephanie Stean wrote:

> So, jnana signifies three types of knowledge?  Or ways of knowledge,
> correct?
>
> First two:
>
> >1. Knowledge of brahman
> >2. Knowledge of brahman as an object
>
>  But it also signifies the process of knowing (again, through whatever
> path).  Is this correct?

I think it would be less confusing if you reserved the word jnana for the
third type.  The first two types would more properly be vijnana.  Vijnana
means science in modern Indian languages but here I mean all types of
"reasoning about facts".

The seventh adhyaya of the Gita explains the difference between vijnana
and jnana.