Bhakti yoga

K Kathirasan NCS kkathir at NCS.COM.SG
Tue Jun 11 00:58:15 CDT 2002

Namaste Jaldharji

Firstly I think we have mixed up Bhakti bhava and Bhakti yoga. The latter is
a sadhana while the former is an attitude. Shankara wrote lots of stotrams
in Bhakti Bhava and that has got nothing to do with Bhakti Yoga. In both the
ajnani and the jnani, bhakti is a common denominator. The ajnani sees the
separation between himself and Iswhara but the jnani identifies with
Ishwara. Both are bhaktas. The jnani actually sees Ishwara in all forms
which is due to jnana alone.  And that could be the reason why we see so
many stotrams composed by Shankara.

The whole tradition of Advaita Vedanta is very clear about the view that
Jnana ALONE can confer mukti. The point of Bhakti Yoga being another direct
means to mukti is not acceptable to the tradition. As Shankara makes this
very clear in most of his works. But many make a big mistake in considering
Bhakti Yoga as another valid means to moksha. This is definitely not
acceptable to the Advaita Vedanta tradition. But we can accept Bhakti Yoga
as an indirect means to moksha just like Karma Yoga (in fact Bhakti Yoga is
indeed Karma Yoga) for the sole sake of chitta shuddhi. The verse quoted
from the sutra bhashya refers to this alone as we all know that Karma, even
if it may be meditation on the Lord, cannot bestow us the paramapurushartha
i.e. Moksha.

Best regards.

Kathi