"Jagat satya!"

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram srikrishna_ghadiyaram at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 31 22:45:35 CDT 2002

Hari OM !!

--- "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Srikrishna Ghadiyaram wrote:
>
> > Can we not consider that the JnAni is always in
> > samadhi.
> >

> Yes probably but we have to ask whether we are using
> samadhi losely or as
> a technical term.  In Samkhya/Yoga samadhi is the
> final state when the
> turmoil of the mind has ceased.  Chittavrttinirodhah
> as the Yogasutras
> call it.  It can be savikalpa (retaining mental
> concepts) or nirvikalpa
> (where there are no mental concepts.)
>
> For Advaita Vedanta even nirvikalpa samadhi is at
> best the penultimate
> stage.  The freezing of the mental state is not
> enough, there must also be
> the positive knowledge of the oneness of Brahman.
>
> But especially after Samkhya/Yoga became absorbed
> into Vedanta, this
> distinction wasn't always scrupulously maintained.

What is that 'input' required to have that '+ve'
knowledge, after being in Samkhya Samadhi ? Is there
such clarity in some of Sankaracharya's works such as
Gita, Upanishad, or Brahma Sutra Bhashya.

Om Namo Narayanaya !!

Srikrishna

http://health.yahoo.com