Are GODs just symbolic ???

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram srikrishna_ghadiyaram at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 22 00:57:00 CDT 2002

Hari Om !!

--- "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Srikrishna Ghadiyaram wrote:
>
> > The Swami repeatedly said, "there are only two
> type of accounts, one
> > Historical and the other Symbolic. There is no
> >mythological account."

> I think you are making the same mistake as the Swami
> of assuming that
> symbolic means not real or inferior.  This is only
> the case if you believe
> that perception is the only valid pramana.

If we accept that the story of Kshera Sagara Matnthana
is not a cookedup story to express some symbolism,
which meaning or concept would not be understood by
ordinary, ignorant masses, and that this figurative
expression has been discovered and masterfully
utilised to author the Puranas, then I would feel it
is not correct. Just because someone does not
understand we do not have to alter the facts or create
'stories', I guess. I do not know how all the saints
and sages would concur on the same technique.
Specially, when all the efforts are driven to find the
'naked TRUTH', would such gimmics or conveniences be
accepted in the Sastric tradition ??

Yes, I accept the idea of using a clear example as a
symbol, because it conveys the intended 'concept'
without corruption. For example, Rama is a Symbol of
Dharma.

The referred swami's words did not sound to use the
'Symbolic' Gods in that sense. That is the reason, I
am seeking clarifications.

Om Namo Narayanaya !!

Srikrishna