Pancha Kavya

vidya jayaram vidyajayaram at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 15 23:13:37 CDT 2002

I suppose mastery of the sanskrit language would make one better able to understand the shastras but I'm not aware that they have any specifically religious purpose though they are (with the exception of Meghaduta) all based on stories from the shastras.
>>A study of the kAvyas is not only merely for  mastery of grammar.For instance
An attempt at understanding naishada of shriharsha requires quite a bit of effort with its numerous philosophical and other references.In this text there is a description of saraswati with various darsanas as her angas.He was not only a poet but a philosopher..Which is why there is the saying naishadam vidvadaushadam.

However in kAlidasa we do find references to some technical terms used in samkhya and several references to certain rules in the dharma shastra.

vidya