New member introduction: Jagannath Chatterjee

Thu Jul 11 21:21:15 CDT 2002

Dear Sri Vyas & other List Administrators,

Namaskar.

I am Jagannath Chatterjee, aged about 40 years, a bachelor, serving as a
professional manager in a Govt organisation. I am an initiated devotee of
the Sri Ramakrishna Math & Mission, Belur Math.

I have been interested in the advaita philosophy at a very young age
without even knowing it. I suffered from a serious asthmatic condition in
my childhood days which made my life miserable. I would spend my days
wondering about the purpose of life and the meaningless pain I was
subjected to. I was also searching for ways and means to tolerate the
misery as medical means were not of much help. Suddenly one day the
thought occured to me that if I could dissociate myself from the pain
mentally, by looking upon it as an witness, it would probably be easier to
live. This attitude helped.

Later when I was going through the collected works of Swami Vivekananda in
my fathers library I came accross this thought pattern described vividly.
I went on reading similiar books after that, including works of Sri Sri
Sankaracharya, Sri Ramana Maharshi, and also the writings of the monks of
the Ramakrishna Order. What I read had a profound effect on me and I
decided to devote my life to the "Search for the necklace which is hanging
in my neck".

I sincerely hope I will be allowed to gather and share more knowledge
through your website. I understand and agree to abide by your rules.

Namaskar again.

Yours sincerely

Jagannath.