Shaivas and Smartas

Venkatraman.Chandrasekaran at NOKIA.COM Venkatraman.Chandrasekaran at NOKIA.COM
Tue Jul 9 20:03:11 CDT 2002

I have heard in an upanyasam that the 3000 Dhikshitars of Chidambaram
temple were sent to earth by Lord Siva Himself to serve Him in the Chithsabai.
The Lord in this temple is worshipped in vaidhIka method (Scholars can please
elaborate on the various methods of temple worship relevant to this topic).
The present Dhikshitars are the progenies of the ones who were sent to earth.

Another thing I heard is that they are not supposed to allow any outsiders to take the
thirunIRu (vibhUthi, bhasmam) from the archana plate with their own hand. The
Dhikshitars have to give it themselves (so is it in many other temples too). But
Kanchi Sankaracharyas don't take bhasmam from other's hand when they visit temples.
Because of this clash in ideals, I heard in that upanyasam that Kanchi Acharyas
don't visit Chithsabai (same upanyasakar said HH Sri Chandrasekarendra Saraswathi
had visited the temple once).

Regards,
chandrasekaran.