New member introduction: Gubster Bug

Wed Feb 20 21:01:36 CST 2002

  Raised by devout, restrictive fundamentalist Christians, I left any
affiliation with that tradition as soon as I gained majority.  I was
introduced to non-duality concepts, predominantly Buddhist (Zen), while at
university, through Beat literature, Watts, and Suzuki, etc..  Years later I
did some reading in the Talmud, Koran, and more "pop" oriented works such as
those by Richard Alpert ("Be Here Now", for example).  Last year a local
public access channel offered some video programming featuring Antoinette
Varner (Gangaji), a student of HWL Poonja (and he of Ramana Maharshi).
Since then I've been reading in that area, but have been following the
strands of teaching to try to figure out what consitutes the core traditions
of advaita.  I've established a personal practice of sorts, but am mostly
looking for insight where it is available.

Thanks for any opportunity,
Gubster Bug