Gunas and Kosas

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram srikrishna_ghadiyaram at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 15 18:32:32 CST 2002

Hari Om !!

I want to add some more points to my previous posting regarding Gunas.

In the same book 'Vedanta for Beginners', while explaining the 'A Priori
Method', Swami Sivananda writes:

" Prakriti, the cause of ignorance, is made up of three Gunas, and carries
with her the reflection of that transcendent Reality, Satchidananda. This
Prakriti is divided into two aspects, called Maya and Avidya. Maya is
Suddha-Sattva-Pradhana or that state of Prakriti in which the principle of
purity and Sattva, predominates over the other two, - Rajas and Tamas.
Avidya is Malina-Sattva or that state of Prakriti in which Sattva is
predominated and sullied by the other two."

My question is what is this distinction between Maya and Avidya (beyond
Vyasti and Samasti) aspects ? Why should there be difference in the
comoposition of Gunas ?

I will appreciate all your learned comments on these doubts.

Om Namo Narayanaya !!

Srikrishna