brahmavid=Krishna

Aniruddhan ani at EE.WASHINGTON.EDU
Sat Aug 31 17:04:40 CDT 2002

namaste Kiran and others,

>His mission in life was to
>demonstrate the unity of all religions. To him all the
>flavours of Hinduism (Advaita, Dvaita,
>Vishishtadvaita, Budhdhism, Jainism...), Christianity,
>Islam or for that matter any other religion were one
>and the same in essence.

The scholars of Vishishtadvaita and Dvaita (who, I am sure, have complete
understanding of their respective philosophies) have traditionally
established their philosophies only in opposition to Advaita. I therefore
find it hard to believe that A and V/D can be the same in essence.

>As to that quote - I just quoted it since it uses the
>words Paramarthika and Vyavaharika. I quoted it to ask
>what we are getting into. I do not understand that
>quote at all (nor do I understand Advaita!). Note that
>in it he uses the word "tyranny" - which indicates
>physical harm. He uses it in the context of
>caste-related discrimination.

I still fail to see how the concepts of paramarthika and vyavaharika in
advaita philosophy have anything to do with the caste system!

>I have learnt a lot about Advaita from these few mails
>that we have exchanged. My "100m in 2s" questions are
>almost answered, and the answers are disappointing
>since the braHmavid's physical capabilities remain
>limited.

I personally think that such a question will remain unanswered. Whether a
Brahmavid can or cannot do this, a real Brahmavid will remain unconcerned
with this and will not answer this question or undergo the experiment.

I think you are still identifying the Brahmavid with His body. By (advaita)
definition, the Brahmavid is Brahman, and therefore Everything, therefore
he already exists at the place 100m from where his body is! In one sense,
you can say that he can run 100m in no time at all!

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam

Aniruddhan