Sannyasins & cutting of the hair?

Ashish Chandra ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 9 11:30:59 CDT 2002

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002 08:37:46 -0700, IndraDeva Ishaya
<indradeva_ishaya at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>Yes, that's what I thought. Both growing and cutting
>can serve the purpose of Non-Attatchment.
>I had heard many varying arguments about the pro's &
>con's of cutting vs. not. One said that you should cut
>because sometimes "Rakshasas" or bad karma lodges in
>the hair, especially matted hair, but then another
>said that when you cut your hair, you lose control of
>some subtle senses & it's detrimental to your
>meditation practice. The argument con't from there.

If I am not mistaken, there is even an Upanishad named after hair (on the
head or the beard or both - I am not sure) called MuNDaka. From what I have
leart about keeping hair i.e. Shikha etc, it "protects" the Brahmaraandra
(or Sahasrashirsha) chakra right below where the Shikha's root lies.

The lady who cuts my hair asked my about my shikha and I told her it was
because of my religion. Then I added how she must have seen Chinese movies
where the people also sport shikhas and she said yeah, it makes sense now :-
)

ashish