Study of Vedas

Wed Apr 10 08:56:12 CDT 2002

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Srikrishna Ghadiyaram wrote:

> My only view was that now that I realize the
> importance of vedas, and the main teachings of the
> vedas that God is there as bestower of results and we
> can realize that God with in us, I should give highest
> importance to meditation and necessary learning
> towards that goal, and necessary life style change for
> success in that path. If one believes that this can be
> achieved through learning Samhitas, they may do so.

I should clarify at this point that what is being urged is not learning
Vedas per se but shedding the ego by following your duty with no
ulterior motive but as a sacrifice to the Lord.  That is karmayoga and for
Brahmans it involves learning the Vedas but for others it might be
something else.  If one fails to do this, no matter how lofty his reasons,
he will never achieve any success in getting mukti.

> But for me, while I respect and revere the idea of
> learning Samhitas, I will make use that approach as a
> secondary means.

Himanshubhai said it well there is too much putting the Vedas on a
pedastal going on.  we need less respecting and revering and more DOING.
Make it secondary if you must but don't neglect it altogether.