Rituals

Sankaran Kartik Jayanarayanan kartik at ECE.UTEXAS.EDU
Fri Sep 14 18:21:51 CDT 2001

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, K. Sadananda wrote:

> Shree Bhardwaj
>
> Karma performed for one's own selfishness - is a bondage.
>
> Karma as yoga involves - iiswara arpita buddhi - that helps in the
> purification of the mind since there is a kartR^itva bhaava.  Iswara
> arpita buddhi - is an attitude in the mind and does not arise unless
> I have devotion towards Iswara. - Hence karma as yoga involves
> bhakti. Karma yoga is the most efficient method of purification of
> the mind - more so in kaliyuga since we all want to work.  Karma as
> interpreted by Bhagavaan KrishNa include all obligatory duties -
> niyamita and naimittika karma.   Veda niyamita karma is only one
> aspect of this.   Lord himself came down to explain that Karma does
> not just mean the karma enjoined in Vedas or puurva kaaNDa only but
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> includes all obligatory duties which obviously depending on time and
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> place etc.   Even going to office, taking care of your family are all
> obligatory duties as long as one feels that one is a kartaa.

I agree that karma as enjoined by the Vedas alone does not include all
obligatory duty. But how does one know what one's obligatory duty is?

The answer is in BG 16.24: "One must therefore heed the shastras
(scriptures) in ascertaining what should be done. Accepting the authority
of the shastras, perform the prescribed action!"

I understand that performing action in this world by going to the office
etc. and working with detachment may lead to purification of the mind, but
this is certainly not what is commanded by the shastras, and cannot
compare with the purification of the mind that is acquired by simply
following the scriptural injunctions with devotion.

In "Dialogues with the Guru", H.H. Chandrashekhara Bharati says precisely
that.

But your advice is for people like me, I presume :-)

[..]

> Hari OM!
> Sadananda

Regards,

Kartik

Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 12:21:46 -0400
To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG>
From: "K. Sadananda" <sada at ANVIL.NRL.NAVY.MIL>
Subject: Fwd: Returned mail: User unknown
Comments: To: avadvaita-l at braincells.com

--============_-1211551584==_ma============

--
K. Sadananda
Code 6323

--============_-1211551584==_ma============

 --></style><title>Fwd: Returned mail: User
(EDT)<br>
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON><br>
To: <sada at anvil.nrl.navy.mil><br>
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown<br>
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure)<br>
The original message was received at Sat, 15 Sep 2001 11:29:25 -0400
(EDT)<br>
from sadananda.nrl.navy.mil [132.250.127.183]<br>
   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors
-----<br>
<ADVAITA-L at ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG><br>
   ----- Transcript of session follows -----<br>
... while talking to a.mx.advaita-vedanta.org.:<br>
>>> RCPT To:<ADVAITA-L at ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG><br>
<<< 550 <ADVAITA-L at ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG>: User
unknown<br>
550 <ADVAITA-L at ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG>... User unknown<br>
Reporting-MTA: dns; anvil.nrl.navy.mil<br>
Received-From-MTA: DNS; sadananda.nrl.navy.mil<br>
Arrival-Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 11:29:25 -0400 (EDT)<br>
Final-Recipient: RFC822; ADVAITA-L at ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG<br>
Action: failed<br>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 11:34:08 -0400<br>
To: ADVAITA-L at ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG, n.cuntoor at lycos.com<br>
From: "K. Sadananda" <sada at anvil.nrl.navy.mil><br>
Subject: Re: question.<br>
list.. so i'm sending it to you directly.. its a follow up to your
reply to sri bharadwaj)..</blockquote>
mails?</blockquote>
-n Fri, 14 Sep 2001 13:43:18 <br>
 K. Sadananda wrote:<br>
>Shree Bhardwaj<br>
>Karma performed for one's own selfishness - is a
bondage.</blockquote>
to not just an induvidual but a community, a family, a society?
bondage or not, many things are obligatory aren't they? alternatively,
obligation begets bondage, in a sense..doesn't it?</blockquote>
Greetings.</font></blockquote>
a notion that I am doing it - that notion that I am the doer is what
is called kartR^itvabhaava - that entitles one to have the results as
well - since doer gets the results - at least the intangible part of
it.  Hence even if one does for the sake of society - good or bad
- as long as one has the notion of doer-ship - one enjoys the results
of that - even if it is obligatory. </font></blockquote>
have proper attitude even in performing the nayamita karma - that is
the whole teaching of Bhagavadgeeta. - karmaphala tyaagam - offering
the results to the alter of love - Hence iiswara arpita bhaava and
prasaada buddhi come into picture - this purifies the mind to the
degree that one recognizes that "I am not the doer but 'His Will'
will be done' - Then any action performed with that understanding will
not cause bondage, in fact it will neutralize ones
vaasana-s.</font></blockquote>
>>Karma as yoga involves - iiswara arpita buddhi - that helps in
the<br>
>>purification of the mind since there is a kartR^itva bhaava.
Iswara<br>
>could you elaborate on kartRitva bhaava? i'm not sure i understand
its implications.... how does >this relate to akarma referred to in
the gita?</font><br>
is the notion (notion is that which is not real) that I am the doer.
Actually my true nature is - akartaaham - abhoktaaham - When I take
myself as not I,  but I am  the body or mind or intellect,
which are by definition limited,  and since I cannot stand any
limitations, I try to solve this problem of limitation by doing
something about it- by gaining something or get rid of something -
hence all actions in terms of pravRitti or nivRitti - These are
motivated by my vaasana-s .  Hence vaasaana-s cause desires in
the intellect, agitations in the mind and actions at the physical
level.  Identification with these equipments brings the notion
that I am the doer and I am the enjoyer - this is part of the
'adhyaasa' or error due to ignorance of my true
nature.</font></blockquote>
declares - prakR^iti eva ca karamaani kriyamaanaani sarvashhaH - all
actions are performed by prakR^iti alone and who really understands
this correctly understands it.  This is the action of a
saatvic person.</font></blockquote>
actions are being performed by prakR^iti - just as heart is beating,
digestive system functioning - our will is not there in these actions
and they are performed by nature.  When one realizes that one is
non-doer while doing is going on - is what is a real understanding of
akartaa.  One can just sit back and witness the actions that are
going on at the level of body, mind and intellect level. We can call
this unaction to differentiate it from inaction.</font></blockquote>
This is not an inaction - inaction is being lazy, claiming that I am
not doer.  Hence Krishna in 18th chapter - gives a classification
of saatvic, rajasic and tamasic actions- Being lazy is tamasic
action.</font><br>
with the notion that I am the doer.  He is the one who complains
that we should do something about it and it is not right to keep
quite.  If I do not take care of my family who will? 'I have to
educate my child  etc - I am responsible'
attitude.</font></blockquote>
and I am only a vehicle through which He is acting is what is
surrenderance of agency of action - like the way an ambassador acts.
He is acting on behalf of the Govt. and Govt. is accountable for his
actions as representative.  He does not get bound by the actions,
unless of course he forgets the role and acts as an individual and
tries to kill somebody or get himself drunk and hit somebody.
Although Law may give  immunity from prosecution he will mentally
suffers the consequence of that action since he knows he did it not on
behalf of the Govt. but on his own
behalf.  </font></blockquote>
declares before he provides an exhausting explanation - kim karma and
kim akarma iti kavayoH api atra mohitaaH| The nature of unaction
(saatvic), action (rajasic) and inaction (tamasic) - is quite complex
and even the pundits have problem in distinguishing.   Hence
whole giita is centered on Karma and how to turn karma into yoga.
There was an extensive discussion of these sloka-s of giita in the
advaitin list and are stored in file ' Bhagavad Giita file'.  You
may be able to download them.</font></blockquote>
OM!</font></blockquote>
color="#000000">Sadananda</font></blockquote>
-Naresh<br>
Make a difference, help support the relief efforts in the U.S.<br>
http://clubs.lycos.com/live/events/september11.asp<br>
--------- End Forwarded Message ---------<br>
Make a difference, help support the relief efforts in the U.S.<br>
http://clubs.lycos.com/live/events/september11.asp</blockquote>
K. Sadananda<br>
Code 6323<br>
Naval Research Laboratory<br>