pitr paksha started today

Subrahmanian, Sundararaman V [IT] sundararaman.v.subrahmanian at SSMB.COM
Fri Sep 7 21:44:12 CDT 2001

Sri Jaldhar,

My mails keep bouncing back, even though I have
"ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG" as the address.  If this does not show
up in the list, kindly forward it and correct my account if there is any
error.

>Moral of this incident (IMO) is the importance of keeping one's word. Since
>shankara promised  (before he took sannyAsa) to his mother that he will do
>her cremation, he was bound by his word.  It could not be cast away, like
>rest of the things.
>

>Yes, there is this intention in the Digvijaya, to convey this moral.

The PATH of jnAna is opposed to the PATH of karma is advaita-vedanta's view
point.

But jnAna as the end/goal is independent and inspite of karma.  karmaNA na
vardhate na xIyate (brahman neither grows nor decays by performance of
karma).  For a jivanmuktha who is the end goal himself, the performance of
karma (action) does not alter his abidance in the Self.

In tatvabodha Sri Shankara while talking about the 3 karmas of a jivanmukta
says:  The sanchita karma is destroyed the moment there is self-knowledge.
The AgAmi karma is dispensed to other jivas who either praise him (punya) or
ridicule him (papa).  But even the jivanmuktha will have to undergo his
prarabda karma that is left from previous birth.  So a lot of jivanmuktha's
acting like normal men has its basis in the last of the above 3 mentioned.

Ofcourse, I don't wish to hurt the sentiments of those who believe Shankara
is an avatar and hence has no prarabda karma.  I was just explaining the
post-self-knowledge actions of jivan muktas.

Regards,
SVS.