Pashupatas (was Re: Sivaachaaryas)

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 29 23:17:34 CST 2001

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 23:08:16 -0500, Jaldhar H. Vyas
<jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM> wrote:

>accepted by Shaiva Siddhantins,)  Then were 64 Bhairavagamas which were
>Advaita.  These are also known as tantras.  (One definition I have come
>across is that agama and tantra are virtually the same except in an agama,
>the male principle of divinity is considered superior, and in tantra the
>female principle.)  The 64 tantras were then condensed into the
>Vamakeshvari Tantra which is the foundation of Shrividya.

Namaste:

I was wondering if any list member might be able to list
possible meanings of the word tantra, also with break-up
into root words.

Since my Sanskrit is weak I need some help here. Here
is a clue, the most probable intended meaning must result
from a break up that can be applied to words mantra, and
yantra to yield acceptable meanings.

Thanks

Regards
Shrinivas