Another letter

Vaidya Sundaram vaidya_narayanan at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 17 22:06:09 CDT 2001

namaskaram.

--- Sankaran Kartik Jayanarayanan <kartik at ECE.UTEXAS.EDU> wrote:
> No doubt, in the durgaa suuktam.h, which is familiar today, the
> presiding deity is only agni.

 I enquired about this to some scholars back home and I was told that
Durga Herself is the presiding deity of Agni. So, when one address
Agni, one is actually addressing Durga.
 I do not have the details of why they draw such a conclusion, but when
enquired I was told that in the Devi Mahatmiyam She is referred to
being identical with Agni in some cases, and in other cases, being the
deity for Agni.

 I am sending this note so that we are not confused as to whether we
are doing something wrong; we are still right in chanting the Durga
suktam as we know it for Sri Durga.

bhava shankara desikame sharaNam
Vaidya.