Karma

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 15 13:37:32 CDT 2001

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:29:33 -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

>In fact, this is why Manusmrti says a grhastha has to do panchamahayajnas
>every day, to expiate the sin  of killing isects etc. which is inevitable
>in day-to-day life.
>
>The karmayoga described in the Gita, is still karma and is inferior to
>karmasannyasa.  However it is the path to be taken when karma is
>unavoidable as it was for Arjuna.  It is said in the Mahabharata that the
>Pandavas did spend some time in Hell for their actions.

Namsate Jaldhar,

Do you mean to say that an action performed while being established in
the Self can in some cases be negative karma ? I disagree on this issue.

Self is the very essence of purity. Contact with Self is the highest
purifying ritual and far far superior to any yajna. If any yajna can
indeed purify, it is only due to the fact that a yajna is an indirect
technique of establishing a contact with the Self. And then it is the
Self that purifies. Once this is recognized, it follows that any action
performed while in contact with the Self cannot possibly need any
futher purification.

Best regards
Shrinivas