Samdhya Meditation and Agnihotra

Thu Nov 1 16:44:16 CST 2001

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Vivek Anand Ganesan wrote:

> Hello all:
>
>   My question pertains to the latter part of this thread
> - agnihotra.  Are there any nitya agnihotris left in India?

May be a couple of hundred or less.  Mostly in the south of India.  Though
I'm told Goswami Gokulotsavaji, one of the leaders of Vallabhacharyas
sampradaya is a nitya agnihotri (and a learned pandit and a noted singer
of Hindustani sangit.)  He lives in Indore, MP.  There have been in recent
times agnihotris in Kashi, and Gujarat.

> Also, aren't there vidhis that say that one is to "keep"
> the fires at all times?  How does one do that in an
> apartment in Madras or Manhattan?  Are there list members
> who follow this?

Usually by Agnihotra one means the Shrauta agnihotra.  According to the
Grhyasutras there is also the Vaishvadeva homa, that grhasthas should
daily.  But to my knowledge all these rituals require owning your own home
so apartment dwellers are out of luck..