[Advaita-L] Karma

Thu Jul 12 18:02:41 CDT 2001

Ok now the server is restored and the mixup with subscribers is more or
less cleared up, let's get back to discussing Advaita Vedanta.  I notice
this question didn't get answered for a while.

On 29 Jun 2001, venkata  subramanian wrote:

> hello everyone.
>
> can anyone give a correct definition of Karma ?

Karma is the abstract noun derived from the Sanskrit root kr -- to do.  It
means any action performed with intent (samkalpa.)  Advaita
Vedanta says that mukti is not possible without a total rejection of karma
which is why only a sannyasi can get moksha.

use it in a religious context it means *all* actions not just rituals.
(Thus one cannot use the excuse "I follow Advaita Vedanta" to  shirk ones
duties.)