question

Venkat Shrinivas vsh at CHEERFUL.COM
Tue May 9 21:45:28 CDT 2000

Dear Sandesh,
        You have raised many questions. We have many question but few answers.
Sometimes analysis only leads to paralysis! As you pointed out - we get
"entangled in this intellectual gymnastics".
        I think the reason for the paralysis is that buddhi (intellect/intuition)
and manas (mind) is incapable of fully comprehending the consciousness that
powers them. In some ways I think it is arrogant of us to even assume that
we can even find the answers in the embodied state.
        Consider this - I think of a thought and my fingers type it in the
keyboard. My intellect has no idea as to the details of how the thought
gets converted the action. For all intents and purpose it is a miracle! But
my ego is quick to make the claim "I type this e-mail".

        In this world - we are so used to "thinking of the solution" mentality
that we associate "not thinking" with stupidity or laziness.
        On the other hand it has been said that in the silence of meditation when
all our thoughts are eradicated - when our mind and intellect are extinct -
in this highest state called "turiya" the self reveals itself.
        Maybe the "answer" to your question cannot be explained, but only
experienced.

P.S: I do not mean to belittle our manas and buddhi. I think they play a
very important role in taking us in the spiritual courses of Bhakti, Gnana,
Karma and Hata yoga. These yogas in turn are needed to purify the mind -
which is a prerequisite to the highest experience.

Venkat Shrinivas.
mailto:vsh at cheerful.com

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam