A small question

Ravisankar Mayavaram miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 9 07:28:10 CST 2000

--- "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:

> The modern Indian languages have diverged slightly from Sanskrit
> pronounciation.  E.g. Bengalis say b instead of v, Gujaratis drop a at
> the
> end of a syllable etc.  'bramha' is probably like this.  But the correct
> Sanskrit pronounciation is brahma with a hma.
>
> Paninis' grammar doesn't but later grammatical works often include
> an appendix with extra sutras to convert from Prakrit to Sanskrit.
>
> --

shrii shrii chandrasekharendra sarasvatii in one of his talks (I think
Acharya Calls), mentions brahma and vahni is pronounced as bramha and
vanhi. These are exceptions.  Before reading this, I used wonder why
M.S.Sheela's(a very beautiful) rendering of lalitaa sahasranaama
pronounces the name as vanhimaNDalavaasinii.

But in that talk (if I remember correctly) he does not elaborate why.

=====
Ravi <miinalochanii at yahoo.com>
miinalochanii paashamochanii shive paahi shive paahi
http://www.geocities.com/miinalochanii/meenakshi/