Shankara Jayanti

elmec elmec at GIASBG01.VSNL.NET.IN
Thu Mar 9 00:12:33 CST 2000

Hari Om,

On this day in all the Shankar math branches of Sringeri
Rudraabhishekha is
performed in the morning and the Shankaracharya ashtottara is also
chanted.

In our Malleshwaram branch of Shankar math every year a Jnaana yagna is
performed from the Vaishaka shukla paadya to panchami for 4-5 days. Our
Guruji
picks up excerpts from Shankara bhashya of the prasthana traya and gives
upanyasam in the afternoons for about one hour. On the day of the
Jayanthi, ie
on Panchami, we all assemble in the morning for the pooja and after the
pooja
a brief pravachan is given usually on the Brahma sutra bhashya.

Our Guruji always tells us that the Jayanthis of these great Jnaanis
must be
performed with Jnaana yagnaas which give us occasion to listen to and
contemplate upon the Tattwa which they so lovingly have bequeathed to
us.

Regards,
Latha Vidyaranya

--