A small question

Raghavendra Hebbalalu hs_raghavendra at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 8 19:58:01 CST 2000

namaste,
      I have this small question. In devanagari or in
English, all of us write brahma but pronounce it as
'bramha'. I saw a Sanskrit/Kannada movie in which an
actor repeatedly refers to the 'brahma' (even
pronounced that way) sutra. Is that a rule in Panini's
grammar that hma should be pronounced 'mha' ? brahma,
from 'brh' root, could very well mean that it has to
be pronounced 'brahma' but all people pronounce it as
'bramha'.
Please clarify this doubt.

Thank you,
Raghavendra.