O Desire!

Ravisankar Mayavaram miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 6 16:20:41 CST 2000

One of the important element which makes the food impure and unhealthy at
physical, mental, and spiritual levels is greed. Most often we let the two
inch tongue control the 60+ inches of body. When food is viewed as a
source of nourishment intended to keep the body healthy to enable other
activities then many things fall into place. This is the advice I give to
myself.

I read in a book that while eating is not right to talk and the author
suggests that one should mentally chant gOvinda (or the name of your
ishhTa devata). Especially while chewing one has a good excuse not to
talk. Other important thing is to pray before eating. This will remind
many things. Some of the common prayers I have encountered is
"brahmaarpaNam ..",
"ahaM vaishvaanaro ..." and so on. In a public gathering one can do it
mentally. We use few prayers at home. The one (from Swami Yogananda) is

"Divine Mother, receive this food, make it holy, and let no impurity of
greed defile it. Food comes from thee. It is to build thy temple.
Spiritualize it. Spirit to spirit goes.

O Divine Mother, we are the petals of thy manifestation, thou art the
flower, its life and loveliness. Permeate in our souls the fragrance of
thy presence"

Other than is we also use, "brahmaarpanam ..", "annam brahma rasor
vishhnuH bhokta devo maheshhvaraH", and "anna puurNe .."

If one is initiated to sandhya, there is a standard stuff one has to do.

--
Most office lunches, if inhouse, can be avoided by packing one's own lunch
(I do it). No one minds it. If one has to go out, one can eat very less.

--
If you are in US, it is better to avoid processed foods. But not always
you have the choice though. More than 50% of the cheese in this country is

--

Ravi

=====
--
Ravi <miinalochanii at yahoo.com>
miinalochanii paashamochanii shive paahi shive paahi