Jivanmukti as per Advaita-Vedanta FAQ (fwd)

Ramana R r_ramana at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 6 08:16:08 CST 2000

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000 18:14:42 +0530, elmec <elmec at GIASBG01.VSNL.NET.IN> wrote:

>Hari Om,
>
>In " Viveka Choodaamani " Sri Shankara has explained the features of a
Jivan
>mukta in the shlokas numbering from 429 to 442. H.H. Sri Sri Chandrashekara
>Bharathi Swamiji of Sringeri has written a commentary on Viveka
Choodaamani. He
>being a Jivan Mukta himself would have given an apt description on this
matter
>of Jivan Mukti.. It is in Sanskrit. If some List member can go through it
and
>tell us also it would be very enlightening to one and all.
>
>Below I have put forth my own comments upon this subject. Please do not
think it
>as audosity coming from a novice like me. I always like to share my
thoughts
>with others so that I can get corrected by the enlightened forum.
>
>Regards,
>Latha Vidyaranya.

>Realisation of Brahman is the knowledge firmly established in our
antahkarana
>that I am not this body-mind complex. I am only a magical manifestation of
the
>Chetana which pervades the whole universe. This Chetana is Sat – eternal,
Chit –
>all knowing and Aananda – bliss incarnate. This gets reflected in our
intellect
>or budhdhi and our budhdhi creates the whole universe with all its
Charaaachara
>beings. When I say  ‘ I die’ it only means that the body which is jada
dies and
>not the true I which is eternal.  This knowledge which I gain through a
Sadguru
>makes me a Realised person. Once I have this firm conviction that I am
truly
>that Brahman and not any other thing which my mind can conjure up, I
become a
>person who is released by all bondages of this samsaara and I can have the
>luxury of watching this body-mind complex undergoing all changes without
getting
>involved in any of those happenings. Have I not become a Mukta while still
>living in this body ? – a jivan mukta ?

I agree, this is what seems to be the general opinion. But is this backed
up by some scripture ??

>But how many of us can constantly put this knowledge into practise ? How
many of
>us can live in this Saakshi bhaava always ? We keep getting ourselves
involved
>in day to day activities, forgetting momentarily the knowledge that we have
>imbibed thro our Guru. Our condition is like that of an actor who knowing
very
>well the role that he has been asked to play keeps getting involved
himself in
>the role to such an extent that he keeps forgetting that he is only an
actor
>asked to play the role and not the role himself. A constant reminder helps
him
>to play the role unattachedly. But this true knowledge definitely comes to
his
>help when the day’s shooting  is called off and he has to get back home.
He no
>more nurses any of the feelings that the role had demanded from him while
on
>stage.

Sri Ramana Maharshi says there is no momentary or permanent knowledge.
Either you know or you don't know.

>Similarly for a mumukshu, the very knowledge that he has realised
definitely
>comes handy whenever situation requires. He can still keep himself composed
>inspite of the turbulance that the life undergoes every moment. He can
watch it
>all standing away from it, sometimes interfering, sometimes aloof. The
serpent
>of this life can still bite him, but can not injure him.
>
>But there are many Mahaatmaas like Sri Sri Chandrashekara Bharathi Swamy,
Sri
>Sadaashiva Brahmendra Saraswathi Swamy of recent times who in their end
stages
>of this earthly sojourn totally immersed themselves in the Brahmaananda
rasa and
>were unaware of the happenings in their surroundings, and even the bare
>necessities of the mortal body were forgotten. And they were then hailed as
>Jivan muktas. Does this mean that when they had not yet reached this stage
of
>outer manifestation of Brahmaatmaikatwa, they were not jnaanis ?! Just
because
>Sri Sri Abhinava Vidyaathirtha Mahaswamy did not show signs of this kind of
>outer manifestation of his inner Jnaana, can any body deny that he was a
jivan
>mukta ?

I didn't mean to say if Sri Abhinava Vidyathirtha is/is not a Jivanmukta.
My question was - Did he become one at the age of 15 or 20 years, when he
had the experience(for the 1st time ??) of Nirvikalpa samadhi.

>A person whether he is a Jivan mukta or a Jivan badhdha, only his
antahkarana
>knows. He can still look like any other ordinary mortal in the eyes of
others.
>But a close observation of his aachaara and vichaara will surely reveal his
>state.
>
>Regards,
>Hari Om,
>Latha Vidyaranya

I have been added to the list, hence replies need to be copied to me.

Regards,
Ramana

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam