Reason, Faith & Experience.

Vaidya Sundaram Vaidya_Sundaram at I2.COM
Tue Jun 27 17:24:06 CDT 2000

S. V. Subrahmanian <svs_shankara at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
[...]
> when do you analyse and when do you accept in faith.
[...]

namaskaram.

 i wish to briefly point out parts of an earlier discussion on this list
which revolved around the use and limits of logic. The discussion happened
sometime around the first week or so of Feb 2000 - you could search for it

In order to distinguish Shri. SVS's notes from the earlier post from Feb
2000, the following is in >>

> > We have a good modern day analogy here of the validity and sphere of
logic.
> > The famous philosopher Bertrand Russell and his friend the
mathematician
> > Whitehead were convinced they could deduce all of mathematics from pure
> > logic.  They set about writing the magnum opus Principia Mathematica.
It
> > took them 42 pages to get to the point they could prove 1+1=2.
> > Unfortunately, they were stopped in their tracks by Godel?s
incompleteness
> > theorem that , in simple terms, states that, in any axiomatic system of
> > mathematics, you can always construct a proposition that cannot be
proved or
> > disproved by that self same system. Logic has its limits. This applies
> > maths and to brahmavidyA

I hope this above piece says it all! In my understanding, this is what Shri
Vidyashankar was pointing out as well.
I hope to send an more elaborate post at a later time ...

bhava shankara desikame sharaNam
Vaidya.

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam