the "Buddha" in the GK (was Re: Antiquity of ...)

Sat Jun 24 17:40:59 CDT 2000

Sankaran Kartik Jayanarayanan <kartik at ECE.UTEXAS.EDU> wrote:

>But Shankara himself takes the word "deshitaH" to mean "instructed by
>scripture."
>
>I only have Swami Gambhirananda's translation with me, not the original.
>Anyway, the translation of Shankara's commentary goes: "...The Yoga of
>this kind that has been deshitaH, instructed, by the scripture; taM, to
>that; ahaM namAmi, I make my salutation, i.e, I bow down..."

After posting my response yesterday, another thought struck me. If someone
has the Skt. original of Sankara's bhAshya on GK, check if the word being
translated as scripture is "SAstra". If so, two meanings are possible. In a
general sense, whatever is taught can be called SAstra, as the word simply
means "body of knowledge" and is not a specific term like Sruti. In this
particular case, note also that the first book of GK is called AgamaSAstra,
so the reference could be to that too.

Best wishes,
Vidyasankar

--