About Advaita Vedanta....

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 22 15:37:24 CDT 2000

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 19:16:48 +0000, IndraDeva Ishaya
<IndraDeva_Ishaya at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>I was under the impression that Advaita meant "non-dual", for lack of a
>more indepth definition. What in the world are you arguing about? I signed
>onto this list expecting to learn about Vedantic tradition and history, and
>I have to listen to arguments that are completely irrelevant to anything.
>Why do you all feel the need to so vehemently defend your opinions and
>personal paths?

 Here we go again. There can be nothing easier than jumping to conclusions,
 as exemplified here. It is easy to  brand others as religious zealots or
 what not, but what constructive comments are you providing here? I fail
 to see any. How do you justify what you say here? Have you searched
 the archives for the large number of very diverse topics that have been
 discussed before?

>"The unreal has no being; the real never ceases to be." Bhagavad-gita 2:1.
>
>Now, that is a statement worthy of your meditations.

 This may sound a little harsh, and I apologize if it does, but you
 have come to the wrong place if you are looking for a meditation
 group. advaita is not all about meditation, at least the way it is
 recognized here. Certainly, you are welcome to discuss meditation, but
 don't expect only that.

> If you believe Advaita
>Vedanta is The Truth, as I hear thown around so carelessly, then it needs
>no defense. If the teachings of the Buddha, or his disciples, is the Truth,
>then IT needs no defense. These arguments are irrelevant. If what you
>believe is the Truth, then it will stand under scrutiny. If not, well, good
>riddance.
>You remind me of Religious Zealots, defending their beliefs that they
>barely believe in themselves, and because of that fear, attempt to convert
>as many as possible so as to feel safe.

 Really? How much personal information do you have about those members on
 the list to say all this about them? How can you justify what you say
 here about them regarding conversions, etc.?

>Very little of what I have read has led me to a greater understanding and
>experience of Atman, Brahman, Nirvikalpa Samadhi, Satori, Nirvana, The One,
>Transendant, Cosmic, or Ascendant Consciousness, or whatever name that you
>insist I call my Enlightenment. Except to make me run from my computer to
>meditate ;)

 Two points. You can start your own discussion thread here on meditation
 Why don't you take the initiative and lead the discussion or at least
 post questions on meditation, etc. instead of running away from your
 computer? And, there have been a lot of quite useful discussions on
 the list in the past. You just have to search the archives to retrieve
 them.

>I won't post on this subject again, for I fear that this message will fall
>on more than a few pairs of deaf ears, but I will continue to wade thru the
>drivel in search of the pearls.

 If you think there is too much drivel, why don't you make it a habit
 of posting a few "pearls"? There is as much, if not greater, pleasure in
 sharing with others as in taking from them. There is more pleasure in
 sharing information than in pontficating!

 Anand

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org