Antiquity of advaita vedanta (was : an open letter to all)

Shrisha Rao shrao at NYX.NET
Wed Jun 21 17:31:02 CDT 2000

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Anand Hudli wrote:

>  The Anandagiri I was referring to is the one who has written
>  commentaries on all the major upaniShad bhAShyas of Shankara, the
>  gItAbhAShya of Shankara, and the sUtra-bhAShya too. Anandagiri's
>  glosses are pretty standard in advaita.

Just as an aside, in `Gaudapada: A Study in Early Advaita', T.M.P
Mahadevan suggests that there were "probably" multiple Anandagiri-s, on
the grounds that Anandagiri the commentator on Sureshvara bR^ihad-vArtika
seems to accept GK I as Shruti, while Anandagiri the commentator on
GK-bhAshhya does does not seem to.  I personally disagree with Mahadevan
in this and other instances in matters of textual analysis.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam