Antiquity of advaita vedanta (was : an open letter to all)

Vivek Anand Ganesan v_ganesan at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 21 16:24:06 CDT 2000

--- ShrI nanda chandran wrote:
> That advaita is prachanna bauddham is not to be disproved
> by trying to show
> that advaita has no buddhist influence.

  I think that what arouses passions is that there is *any*
influence of one school on another.  So, a follower of
advaita would not take kindly to assertions that advaita
has buddhist influence as much as a follower of buddhism
would take to assertions that Mahayana Buddhism is
plagiarized vedanta.  I recently read a book titled
"What the Buddha taught" in which the author ( who was
considered a scholar of Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism )
resents any "atmanic smuggling" in to Buddhism.

  Maybe, we could reach a middle ground by saying that
each tradition approaches the same truth albeit from
differnet places ( as ShrI Nanda has been saying ).

-Vivek.

PS : I hope that the very informative and lucid discussions
     would coninue.  May I kindly request a series based on
     GK which would be very informative and educational.