Antiquity of Advaita Vedanta (was Re: An Open Letter to All)

Ravisankar Mayavaram miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 13 17:32:53 CDT 2000

--- "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:

> To the them I say that theory directly affects practice and
> understanding
> the tenets of Vedanta and Buddhism, their similarities and profound
> disagreements, is indispensable for truly achieving the goals of
> Advaita
> Vedanta.

Too much theory without practice is the common situation encountered in
the realm of spirituality.  Also indulging in theory which is not so
related is not beneficial. Former is eating food without digesting it
and latter is eating junk food which is even worse. We need to know
only enough theory to give shraddha in the practice.

If you think understanding the similarities and disagreements with
buddhism is so important, can you support it with a quote from any of
the shankaracharya-s? Have they ever advised their followers to do so?

I do welcome Nanda to post his article. But the fine line is if his
article attempts to discuss buddhism on its own right rather than
comparing it with advaita-vedanta then it clearly goes outside the
scope of the list.

My 2c and my intention is not to offend anyone.

Thanks
Ravi

AUM atmaika sumukhi bhuta jagadaahlaada kaariNyai namaH