Antiquity of Advaita Vedanta (was Re: An Open Letter to All)

Mon Jun 12 23:52:26 CDT 2000

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, nanda chandran wrote:

> But again, I just do not wan't to write a reply to it and again set off
> another round of discussion. So instead of this, I thought I could present a
> full fledged article on the MAdhyamaka and its relation to Advaita. But this
> is not a short paper (but it is not very long either) and would minimum
> require to be posted in five parts of say 50 lines each.

[...]

> Infact I've typed most of it out over the weekend. And it would be a good
> educational thing for those not familiar with what Vidhya and I have been
> discussing. But I thought I'd better ask the permission of the list owners
> before I started posting.

I've heard two main objections to the ongoing threads on this topic.

1.  We should all be one happy family and not argue about dry theoretical
topics.

2.  Whatever Buddhism may have done in the past it belongs firmly in the
past and has no relevance to Advaita Vedanta today.

To the them I say that theory directly affects practice and understanding
the tenets of Vedanta and Buddhism, their similarities and profound
disagreements, is indispensable for truly achieving the goals of Advaita
Vedanta.

So Nanda, please go ahead and post.

And may I remind readers that if you think there are relevant subjects
which are not getting discussed amidst the theory, please feel free to
start a thread of your own.  You needn't wait for anyone.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.