Delicate and sharp path !

S. V. Subrahmanian svs_shankara at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 26 09:21:47 CDT 2000

Smt. Lataji wrote (in the thread Women in Vedanta):

When one treads this delicate but sharp path of
advaita, one should actually wear blinkers like a horse and walk just
looking ahead !

Question:

I have heard these statements often.  Can you explain why you call advaita a
delicate, but sharp path ?  I have heard these statements with reference to
Kundalini Yoga.  If you say distractions are many, then that is true of any
venture - researcher in a lab, parent bringing up the child, builder
constructing a bridge - all require sharp focus on the goal.  Why are we
mystifying spiritual path alone so much -:) ?

The reason I am saying is that I have seen many weak minds who have mild
interest in religion, instead of being encouraged to develop the strength
needed to pursue the spiritual path, instead get discouraged and lose
whatever strength they have.  The moment they read such statements they say
- Oh! Baapre, this is not for me !!!

Regards.
S. V. Subrahmanian.