iishaa vaasyaM ...

S. V. Subrahmanian svs_shankara at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 22 21:15:00 CDT 2000

Shri Jaldharji wrote:

The root dhatu is gam -- to go.  The doubling of the dhatu signifies
repitition (Cf. man - to think.  mimamsa -- "thinking back and forth" or
debate, dialectic etc.)  So Jagata is that which is going back and forth
or constantly moving.

Response:
The explanation I have heard of is jagata is jah + gatah ie., where one is
born and one dies (goes away) hence that place is jagata.

I am just presenting it for consideration.

Regards.
S. V. Subrahmanian.