A suggestion

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 17 14:48:35 CDT 2000

I suggest that Shankara's introduction to his BrahmasUtrabhAShya
in the original sanskrit be scanned and added to the list of "Texts"
in the advaita vedanta homepage. This should be no more than a few
pages in length.

It used to be the case that many could recite the entire introduction
to the shAnkara-bhAShya from memory. But that practice has dwindled
these days, in line with other shastric studies. One may, of course,
object and say that mere memorization is of no use. To this I can only
reply that even the mere repitition of the words of shAnkarabhAShya
without knowing the meaning fully will help us immensely in much the
same way as recitation of the Vedas even without understanding the
meaning fully carries a certain benefit. Needless to say, understanding
the introduction is important. Shankara talks at length on the all-
important principle of "adhyAsa" or "superimposition" in this
introduction.

Wouldn't the recitation of this introduction be a great way to begin
one's day?

Anand

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam