astika vs. nastika

Vaidya Sundaram Vaidya_Sundaram at I2.COM
Tue Jul 11 14:31:46 CDT 2000

elmec at GIASBG01.VSNL.NET.IN wrote:

> the first one is surely a necessity. Only when
> one has  faith in the existence of a supreme energy which is all
pervasive,
> does one ponder over its nature and strive to realise it.

I have seen some authors think other wise. The argument apparently is not
so straight forward that only when you can conceptualize and accept an all
powerful, all pervading conscious entity (God) full of benevolent
attributes, will you strive to realise it. In fact, aspiring to realise the
Brahman consciousness as you own self goes against the very grain of saying
that there is this "other" entity (God) who is to be known and realised ...
yet, H.H brings it up as an essential element in a sadaka so that he may be
considered fit for pursuing atmajNana - why?

> But one who wants only the Brahman and
> nothing less than that need not bother about other realms of existence, I
feel.
> However, irrespective of the faith one has in those lokas, one should
revere
> the karma kandas also and pay due respect to what is stated there as it
is part
> of the veda.

 In as much the existence of other lokas matters to only one who is still
materialistic in his/her outlook, H.H brings it up!! Would it be His way of
ensuring that the sadhaka does not take it for granted that once the
"pursuit" of the Supreme Reality is begun he is "free to do as he sees fit"
and ensure that the sAdhaka does not abandon the foundation of the karma
kaandas's?

bhava shankara desikame sharaNam
Vaidya.

--