Potential of the Mind

Sankaran Jayanarayanan kartik at ECE.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Jan 24 10:57:55 CST 2000

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, Dennis Waite wrote:

> In shrii sha~Nkara's commentary on the bhagavadgiitaa (Samata Books) P. 46,
> is a section entitled 'Knowledge of the Immutable Self is possible'. In
> this, sha~Nkara seems to be saying that it IS possible for the mind to
> 'appreciate' the truth of the Self. Otherwise, for example, what would be
> the point of the Scriptures, he asks. In response to the objection 'Because
> the Self is inaccessible to any of the senses', he answers 'Not so. For the
> Scripture says "It can be seen by the mind alone."'
>
> Here, he quotes the bR^ihadaaraNyaka upanishad.h iv. 19. This says: -
>
> manasaivaanudrashhTavyam.h, naiha naanaasti kiM cana : mR^ityoH sa mrtyum
> aapnoti ya iha naaneva pashhyati.

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the Br. up. with me, but I plan on
getting one soon. There should be a good translation available from the
Ramakrishna mission Vedanta book store. I do have a translation of
Shankara's BG BhAshhya published by the RK mission though. If you can tell
me the verse number in the BG where it occurs, I can look it up for you.

With my meagre knowledge of Sanskrit, this is what I'm able to make of the
quote from the Br. up.:

manasA eva anudrashhTavyam.h na iha naanaasti kiMchana. mR^ityoH sa
mR^ityuM aapnoti ya iha naanaa eva pashyati .

"There truly isn't any multiplicity here observed by the mind.
 Whosoever sees multiplicity here achieves death after death."

Here is a rough word by word meaning:
manasA : by the mind
eva : only, truly, verily
anudrashhTavyam.h : observation
na: no
iha: here
naanaa : several, multiplicity
kiMchana : any, even a little
mR^ityu : death
aapnoti : achieve
ya : who

> Can anyone provide literal and paraphrased translations of this? Also is
> anyone able to say what shrii sha~Nkara actually said in the giitaa
> commentary (i.e. literal translation of the Sanskrit?

Which shloka is being commented on?

> Would anyone like to
> try to explain how this can be (that the mind can see the Self)? My
> understanding was that (ignoring the fact that body and mind do not really
> exist anyway) the mind is so much more gross than the Self that it could
> never apprehend the Self in any way whatsoever. Even if we allow that, by
> mind here, is not meant manas or the senses but a 'purified intellect',
> still this seems a contradiction of fundamental principles of advaita (as
> well as of the statements of Kant and Schopenhauer).

I was puzzled by something similar in Ramana's teachings. Ramana has said
several times that the mind does not exist, as does Shankara in his
upadeshasAhasrii. But in one specific place in "Talks," Ramana says, "The
mind is the Self." And later into the conversation with the disciple, he
says, "It is the mind turned in on Itself."

> Dennis

-Kartik

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam