Question

Sankaran Jayanarayanan kartik at ECE.UTEXAS.EDU
Tue Jan 11 17:01:19 CST 2000

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Ashish Chandra wrote:

> >From: "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at braincells.com>
> >Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 17:20:31 -0500
> >
> >On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Ashish Chandra wrote:
> >
> > > According to our calendar, we are into the 51st year of Brahma, this is
> >the
> > > 7th manavantara (Vaivasvata Manu). Is the Manu of Manu Smriti the same
> >as
> > > Vaivasvata Manu or is it different ?
> > >

> >Not a 100% sure but I believe that was Manu Svayambhuva.
> >

> I believe I read in the book Hindu Dharma that the Dharmashastras for the
> Krishna Yajur Vedins is by Manu, Apastamba and Hiranyakesin.

Also BaudhAyana. Like me for instance :-)

This is a rare dharma shAstra with not many followers. Most KrishNa yajur
Vedi south-Indians that I've met are with the Apastamba school. Georg
Buhler says that Apastamba came after BaudhAyana and disagreed with his
predecessor on many important issues. e.g. he made the rules of caste much
stricter: the carpenter (RathakAra) is a dvija according to B, but not A.
B is also more liberal in giving expiations for offences like drinking
liquor, which can be expiated only by death by most others.

> > > What is the Dharmasutra for the Madhyandina Shakha of Sukla Yajur Veda ?
> > >

> >There isn't one.  Paraskara is the Grhya sutra and Katyayana is the
> >Shrauta sutra.
> >
> I thought Yajnavalkya wrote a Dharmasutra. Which Shakha was it for?

Georg Bu(e)hler says in his book on Apastamba and Gautama dharma suutras,
"...YAGYavalkya, the promulgator of the white yajur veda..."

-Kartik

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org