karma yoga

Ravisankar Mayavaram miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 5 16:10:28 CST 2000

--- Anand Natarajan <anandn at MYWORLDMAIL.COM> wrote:

> "Jagata Ishadhi Yuktha sevanam
>  Ashta Murthi Brith deva pujanam".
> "Serve the world being attached to God
> This world is His 8 fold form and thus you worship Him."
>
> -Sri Ramana Maharshi

How do you define the term ashhTa muurtiH? The first thought that came
to my mind was the name ashhTamuurtiH in shrii lalitaa sahasranaamam.
The commentary I have gives few meanings for this term.  One of them is
from giitaa VII:4. The eight-fold form here is the pa~ncha bhuuta-s,
manas, buddhi and ahamkaara.

In shakti rahasya, the first five is same, but the last three is moon
(corresponding to mind), Sun (intellect) and jiivaatman (corresponding
to ahaMkaara). Since a person is made of   5 elements, and manas,
buddhi and ahaMkaara, and cosmos has a similar structure. This can be
interpreted at both microcosmic (human) and macrocosmic levels.

Please let us know the meaning with which it is used in the verse.

\aside
Like ashhTa muurtiH, another thing ashhTa-guNa (Tamil eNguNaththaan),
this normally used to address Lord shiva. It is also found in
thirukkuraL in first chapter (kOLil poRiyil ...) in reference to God.

Ravi