mithyatva

elmec elmec at GIASBG01.VSNL.NET.IN
Wed Feb 16 13:25:37 CST 2000

Sri Gurubhyo Namaha

I have not read  Bhashyaas of great Achaaryaas to quote here to solve
your problem. But I would like to put forth in simple sentences what
little I have understood about Mithyaawaada. Scholars, please excuse my
ajnaana.

'Sat' is something which always exists and which never disapperas from
our knowledge. It does not undergo any change at any time. 'Asat' is
something which never had any existence before and which can never
appear before us at any time ( like the son of a barren woman or the
horn of a rabbit.)  But 'Mithya' is something which appears and
disappears and which does not have an independent existence - ie, which
can not exist outside our knowledge. And it undergoes many changes at
different stages of its existence. ( Infact Mithya can be clubbed with
Asat only as its appearence is just magical and does not have true
existence even during its appearence - from a jnaani's point of view .
"Swapne dhrishtam sakalam hi mrisha , jaagriti cha smara tatwat iti" )

The three avasthaas of Jaagrit, swapna and sushupthi are in everybody's
experience. The world and this body which we refer to as "I" which we
perceive in the jaagrit state through our indriyaas, manas and budhdhi
disappear in the swapna and sushupthi states. The world and me which we
see in the swapna state which we perceive through our mind disappear in
the other two states and during the sushupthi state we perceive nothing
at all as both the indriyaas and the mind do not exist . Yet, when we
wake up we are aware of the fact that "we did not perceive anything"
during sushupthi state. And in all the three states we say that it was
"I" who was present and it was "my" jaagrit, my swapna and my deep
sleep, inspite of the fact that all three states were totally different
from one another. This goes to prove that there is a saakshi "I" which
has witnessed all the three changing states standing as an ousider
without itself undergoing any change. Our body was different when we
were little babies, it changed when we became youth and it once again
changes when we become old, yet through all these stages of life we
recognise it as "I" which remains as a constant companion. This "I" sees
our body change, our mind change, our thoughts and decisions change .
The 'seer' can not become the 'seen' is a nyaaya which we all agree. "
Ghata dhrishtah ghataath bhinnah ", ie, one who sees a pot is different
from the pot. Hence when I can see this body, this mind, this
antahkarana everything,  I have to be different from all of them. This
is the true "I" which we must realise.

There is also one more nyaaya that that which can not exist without the
other has to be the swaroopa of the other. Like, a pot can not exist
without the mud and hence the pot is but the swaroopa of the mud. There
is no 'vasthu' called pot without the mud. The word "pot" is only a
vyaavahaaric truth but the mud is the paaramaarthik truth.Similarly the
jewel can not exist without the gold and hence the jewel is but a
swaroopa of the gold. Once again  this world can not exist without my
knowledge and hence the world is but the swaroopa of my knowledge. It is
my knowledge which shows my world to me. This knowledge is what we call
the Jnaana, the ' chit ' the paaramaarthik truth without which the world
, the vyaavahaaric truth ceases to exist. The whole world is but a
superimposition upon this substratum of knowledge, the Brahman. Since
this knowledge  is fundamental  in all jeevaas, we say that all jeevas
are but manifestation of the same Brahman. And since all jeevas are
within the purview of my knowledge, I can say that all jeevas are my own
swaroopa.

Kindly excuse, if my thoughts are immature and childish.

Regards,
Hari Om,
Latha Vidyaranya

--