Krishna Janmashtami

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 28 18:00:05 CDT 2000

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 23:12:17 -0400, S. V. Subrahmanian
<svskotra at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>Yes.  xaya thithi can cause confusion.  But that happens only when that
>thithi starts after sunrise and ends before next sunrise.  In other words,
>thithi for a given day, is decided based on the cycle of the moon at the
>time of
>"sUryodaya" (or aruNodaya in some traditions).  If the kshaya thithi was
>operational during the sUryodaya, then that day is considered as the thithi
>for (that particular) celebration.
>
>The naxatra for a given day (for purposes of celebrations) also follows the
>same rules.

 Actually, rather than whether a tithi is xaya or adhika, what is more
 important in general for observances is the concept of viddha and
 shuddha. A titthi, t, is viddhA if on the day of its occurrence,
 also occurs tithi (t - 1) (modulo 15, of course) partially. It is
 shuddhA if on the day of occurrence, (t - 1) does not so occur.
 The importance of viddhA and shuddhA tithi's arises, for example, in
 the case of determining ekAdashI. The bhAgavata (smArta) ekAdashI
 should NOT be a viddhA  tithi. Actually, it requires that the
 preceding dashamI should have ended at least 1 hour 36 minutes before
 sunrise on the day when ekAdashI is observed.

 Again, in general, when a tithi for an observance is viddhA, we have
 four possibilities because there are two days which become possible
 candidates for the observance, not one as would be the case for a
 shuddhA tithi. 1) The tithi t, required for the observance, prevails
 during the time for the observance (example, midnight) on both days,
 ie the day on which the tithi is viddhA and the next day. 2) the tithi
 prevails during the time for the observance on the first day but not
 the second day, 3) the tithi prevails during the time for the observance
 on the second day but not the first day, and 4) the tithi does not
 prevail during the time for the observance on either day.

 Depending on the particular tradition, the rule for fixing the date
 of the observance is arrived at. For example, the rule for JanmaShTamI
 is: if condition 1) or 4) holds, then the date of observance will be
 the second day, if 2) holds, the first day, or if 3) holds, the
 second day.

 The same approach is also used for naxatra-based observances.

 Anand

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org