Forwarded message/question from Ken Knight

Vaidya Sundaram Vaidya_Sundaram at I2.COM
Fri Aug 11 12:23:58 CDT 2000

----- Forwarded by Vaidya Sundaram on 08/11/00 12:25 PM -----

Namaste to you all,

[ --- ]

My question relates to the use of neti neti. It would
appear to me that this process is endless as it
depends upon the work of Buddhi and subject/object
relationship. Therefore I would affirm the statement
in the Avadhut Gita, 3.17 which says: 'The saying of
Sruti 'Not this Not this' does not apply to Atman.
How can it be said 'When all is subtracted Atman alone
remains'?
 I do not have the Sanskrit for this and am relying
upon a translation by H. P. Shastri.
I cmpare with this the verse from Shankara's Upadesa
SAhasrI 1.17.  The transliterated Sanskrit is given as
follows:
'neti netIti dehAdin aphhyatmA vasesitah
 avisesAtma-bodhArtham tenAvidyA nivartitA'
This is translated in my version as:' When the body
and all other superimposed elements have been
eliminated by thinking 'Not thus, Not Thus', the Self
is left over at the end.  Therefore one eliminates
nescience in order to become awake to Self that is
void of all distinctions.'
I wonder if you could give your own translation of
this verse as my own efforts, without a good knowledge
of grammar, are not sufficient to challenge the above
translation is it is incorrect.
As Brahman is the substratum and all pervading, as
proximity is but part of mAya in my view, then I do
not understand how any process of thought can lead
towards or away from Brahman. I would refer to
Shankara's own verse in the above work ,18.32, when he
says 'Only when there is a reflection of the Inner
Witness can words, by referring to the reflection,
indirectly indicate the Witness.  They cannot
designate the latter directly in any way.'
I wonder if anyone would like to comment upon the
above.
Peace and Happiness
Ken Knight

--