mAyA and jIvA (was Re: Hindu Trinity)

Ashish Chandra ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 28 09:55:50 CDT 2000

>From: Rajiv Malhotra <rajiv.malhotra at WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
>
>But who sustains this illusion? If it's a separate being, then there is
>dualism.

Its strictly not an illusion (if I am not mistaken about the Advaita
position that is). It is mAyA, and that is not simply an illusion. It is
anirvAchanIya and anAdi, subject to the four-fold negation/attribute of
niether being, nor not-being, not either, nor both. There is nothing more
that can be said about it.

>So it is us, except not as the identity we assume to have at this point.
>Imagine an actor who lost his true identity having got totally immersed in
>his role. But he does not cease to be who he really is, EVEN IF HE MAY NOT
>BELIEVE IT. Upon realizing, i.e. waking up, he understand that he NEVER was
>anything else. So enlightenment or moksha is not an ontological change,
>merely an epistemic one.
>
>Rajiv

This describes the jivA, not mAyA. jivA does not sustain the illusion,
rather, it is subject to it.

ashish

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org