Balarama vs. Buddha (was Re: avatAra of Adishesha ?)

Raghavendra Hebbalalu hs_raghavendra at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 26 16:35:56 CDT 2000

I remember reading somewhere that Buddha was added to
the list of Lord VishNu's avatAras during the Gupta
Age. The rogue avatAra concept of buddha may have been
after that. buddha, just like the mohini avatAra,
deluded the asuras from the mainstream of Vedic
religion. There is a discussion on this in the
maadhaviiya-shankara digvijaya, before Lord shiva's
advent as shrii shankara.

Raghavendra.