Advaita and Christianity

Raghavendra Hebbalalu hs_raghavendra at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 4 18:45:28 CDT 2000

namo namah,
       I would like to draw the attention of the list
members to the fact that Sri Ramana was talking to an
american lady, who would be a Christian in all
probability. As has been the nature of all the great
Gurus, Sri Ramana advised her, knowing her
intellectual and religious leanings very well. I doubt
if Sri Ramana would have exhorted Ganapati Muni to
study the Bible treating it on par with vedAnta. This
has to be understood before drawing further
conclusions. Moreover, Sri Ramana was a Mukta for whom
the Vedas and the Bible were equally unreal. We are
not in the same position.
      The same teachings were seen in Sri
Chandrasekhara Bharathi who urged people to live as
better followers of the traditions which naturally
came to them.
      Even though we can find Advaitic passages in
many works, they can never be Shruthi, which is
accorded a very special status in the vedAntic
tradition. The status of Shruthi has not been given
even to the Bhagavad Gita for very evident reasons.

Regards,
Raghavendra.