Jivanmuktiviveka of Swami Vidyaranya

Sun Oct 31 20:02:52 CST 1999

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Charles Wikner wrote:

>     That man is called a (true) tridaNDin in whose mind
>     these three, the control over his speech (vAgdaNDa),
>     the control over his thoughts (manodaNDa), and the
>     control over his body (kAyadaNDa), are firmly fixed.
>
>                            Manu 12:10, tr. Georg Buhler.
>
> The tapas relating to these three is discussed in gItA 17:14-16,
> and the virAga view of these is given in 18:14-15.  Such vairAgya
> is indeed "sharp".
>
> Regards, Charles.

Here are the relevant verses from the Gita a. 17.  (Translation is mine)

Devadvijaguruprajnapoojanaam shauchamarjavam |
Brahmacharyamahimsa cha shareeram tapa uchyate || 14 ||

Worship of Gods, Brahmanas, Gurus[1], and the wise, bodily cleanliness,
diligence[2], chastity, and non-violence: these are called bodily tapa.

[1] According to Swami Shankarananda Saraswatis commentary, "Gurus" in the
above shloka should be understood as father, teachers, priests etc. and
"the wise" refers to the Brahmavids what we typically mean by Guru.

[2] in performing ones Dharma according to the shastras.  Arjavam ==
"straightness" literally.

Anudvegakaram Vaakyam satyam priyahitam cha yat |
Svaadhyaayaabhyasanam chaiva vangmayam tapa uchyate || 15 ||

Speech which doesn't cause turmoil, is truthful, pleasing and helpful,
And Svadhyaya and Abhyasa[1]: these are called the tapa of speech.

[1] Svadhyaya is the study and Abhyasa is the practice of the Vedas and
shastras.

Manahprasaadah saumyatvam maunamaatmavinigrah |
Bhavasamshuddhirityetattapo maanasamuchyate || 16 ||

Mental peace, kindness, silence, discipline, refinement[1] of the
mind:  These are called the tapa of the mind.

[1] Understanding the notion that "all these objects I experience have
their source in the mind."

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.