Bhagavad Gita IV.13

Ashish Chandra ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 28 19:11:30 CDT 1999

Namaste Ravi,

>From: Ravi <miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM>
>
>Can you post the svAmiji's reply (if he has not prohibited your from
>doing so)?

He thought that my question was in terms of time and place and hence that
our new varna and ashram dharma would be to serve the Hindu society in this
country i.e. help the teenagers deal with the identity problems, help with
advice on dating, help the divorcee women etc. More of a social kind of
dharma. I did not press him any further.

> > 2) Why is there no lateral movement within the Varnas allowed (I told
> > him
> > that a Jati could switch if it so wished but not an individual. I
> > also gave
> > him the example of Adi Shankara converting tribes of Balucchis to
> > Kshatriyas
> > during his travels.)
>
>Can you give me  a pointer to the source of this incident? I do not
>remember reading it mAdhava-vidyAraNya's shankara dig vijaya. I might
>have missed it. I should read it one more time carefully.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Sincerely,
>Ravi

If I recall correctly (I will check tonight), Swami Vivekananda makes a
reference to it in one of his lectures in the book "Lectures from Colombo to
Almora".

ashish